This year’s autumn equinox is on September 23 and with the trees showing off their fiery colours, Vancouver is the perfect place to celebrate. Cooler temperatures mean it’s time to get cozy, so here are five ways to celebrate the equinox in your autumn best!
Autumn is my favourite time of year in Vancouver because I love the brisker weather that calls for a comfy sweater and vivid colours that make for great photos. I even love the inevitable rain showers of the season—which I suppose is the hallmark of a born-and-bred Vancouverite. The sum of all these parts is the fact that it’s time to get cozy; and while fall is beginning to strut its stuff, the upcoming equinox marks the start of the fall season.
(Before getting to the cozy bit, you might be wondering what the equinox is. In short, the equinox is the instant of time when the Earth’s equator passes through the centre of the sun. And when that happens in September (usually the twenty-third day), and again in March (March 20 or 21), daytime and nighttime each have an equal slice of the day to shine.)
And in autumn, it means it’s officially time to get cozy—celebrate with one of these cozy activities in Vancouver!
Go for a cup of something warm
What better way to start a day of exploring or catch up with friends than with a hot tea or coffee. Vancouver has a plethora of cozy cafesdotted around the city, all with oversized mugs for you to enjoy your PSL or tea while chatting or reading a book. But if you’re looking to get a bit more decadent, afternoon tea is where it’s at.
Have dinner at a heated patio
Or brunch. Or lunch. Many of Vancouver’s best restaurants have heated and covered patios, because they know locals aren’t really ever ready to give up eating outside. Some even have blankets so you can, if needed, add a layer to keep warm and enjoy your meal in comfort. Some favourites include The Distillery, Lift and The Roof at Black + Blue.
Local Tip: Remember to make a reservation!
Fall temperatures on a sunny day make for ideal weather to get outside. If you were to ask Vancouverites, they would suggest the following:
- Take a hike — Quite a few nearby hikes are still open through the fall, and it’s such a nice time of year to be in the forest. Fellow Inside Vancouver blogger Taryn Eyton shares some great hikes that are transit accessible here.
- Walk the Seawall — The Seawall is a beautiful walk year-round and whether you do it in it’s entirety or walk just the bit near where you are, you’ll get your steps in with a stunning view. Here are some other Here are some more rain or shine strolls in the city.
- Get in the harvest mood — The Chilliwack Corn Maze and any pumpkin patch are wonderful family activities, and the the nearby wineries in the Fraser Valley and in Richmond are especially cozy places to visit for the adults.
Local Tip: Make sure you have a light scarf and an umbrella to ward off possible chill and rain. Don’t get caught short!
Get on your yoga mat
If you’re into the more spiritual side of the seasons, a yoga class is a beautiful way to celebrate the equinox. Teachers may focus the class on turning inwards and shedding any “baggage” that doesn’t belong any more. Lift your mind, body, and spirit for autumn. Click here for where to unroll your mat in Vancouver.
Sip and savour at a tasting room
Clink glasses to toast the start of autumn at one of Vancouver’s craft breweries. Ranging from snug to large, open spaces, all have a welcoming feel to them; which is especially nice when you want to warm your bones after being out in the rain. Enjoy a pint with dinner at Belgard Kitchen and or order your tasting flight to pair with your pizza at R&B Brewing. More cozy tasting rooms are listed here.
Happy autumn equinox!
- Vancouver’s Hot Chocolate Festival is Back with 100+ Flavours
- Toronto Light Fest at The Distillery District
- What’s open and closed in Toronto on Christmas and Boxing Day
- Enjoy a picture-perfect gourmet picnic in a weatherproof globe on a beach in Vancouver!
- Vancouver’s Arabic Language Festival this December
- janeiro 2020
- dezembro 2019
- novembro 2019
- outubro 2019
- setembro 2019
- agosto 2019
- junho 2019
- maio 2019
- abril 2019
- março 2019
- fevereiro 2019
- janeiro 2019
- dezembro 2018
- novembro 2018
- outubro 2018
- setembro 2018
- agosto 2018
- julho 2018
- dezembro 2017
- novembro 2017
- outubro 2017
- setembro 2017
- agosto 2017
- julho 2017
- janeiro 2017
- junho 2015
- fevereiro 2015
- dezembro 2014
- novembro 2014
- outubro 2014